Tuesday, July 21, 2009

ECO Couture!

Sometimes I lie in bed and worry about the planet.
Is this just me?
There’s so much waste in the world. I even feel guilty lately about my wardrobe - it’s always expanding! (no self control), even though I actually don’t need anything. How bad I am at recycling!



The recycled vintage fashion movement actually really attracts me. I love the look of fabulous old pieces. If they are really good quality and gorgeous styles of clothes they don’t date. They are unique and brilliant. But when I walk into one of those recycle shops I feel like I am looking through my own wardrobe and what I really should do is go home and look through the racks of my own old clothes! (I am a hoarder). I am bound to find similar things in my own cupboard. In other words I don’t really need new outfits all the time. There’s a heap sitting there in my home both vintage & brand new! I must find ways to be more sustainable. I also worry about cheap disposable fashion becoming landfill!! We all have too much especially those of us keen to be on-trend. Not to mention all the other fashion related climate change concerns eg: – what chemicals they use to make dyes and synthetic fabrics etc
Anyway I digress – let’s talk wedding gowns. This huge purchase and you only wear it for one day. The ultimate waste – or is it?
Seeing the heading Eco couture when google searching bridal fashion trends got me thinking positively. There are committed people out there who are tackling creatively all my niggling concerns. Thank God!
So enough about my guilt & neurosis – I think all you brides-to- be without a gown yet should read this. It’s definitely food for thought:

http://feelgoodstyle.com/2009/07/16/hot-eco-couture-wedding-gowns-from-bridal-fashion-designer-adele-wechsler/

Also this Canadian based Eco designer’s website. She has some great philosophical ideas about adornment and ways to deepen the meaning of a bride’s special day through what she wears.
http://adelewechsler.com/latest/home.html



Cheers
Kirstie
(Caring about the world we live in!)
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin