Thursday, March 29, 2007

Bling Bling



Did I mention I was married 12 years ago? – Because the funny thing is that it is only now that I am researching and buying my engagement ring! Well things can be a tad disordered like that in life, extenuating circumstances and all that. Here’s why:


As stated in a previous post, at the time that I was actually engaged I saw myself as funky and alternative. I wasn’t convinced that the ring was entirely necessary in order to prove our love. Surely that was a daggy tradition. Plus let’s be really honest gorgeous rings with divine unfeasibly shiny and desirable diamonds, rubies or sapphires cost a BOMB! At the time we had between us 3 young children aged 5-7 yrs. We thought of their education, their years of needs and of the fab family holidays we would have to sacrifice if we blew all our dosh on a bit of bling. But secretly I envied the flashy brilliance of the gleaming sparkly rings on the fingers of co-workers, girlfriends, even my Mum!! (one shouldn’t envy one’s Mum!)



Imagine the shock and delirious delight when my husband suggested that after 12 years he was going to get me “the ring”! He’d always felt a bit bad about not doing it and here it was our anniversary. He didn’t trust himself to choose it - or rather he did but he considered that such an outlay of $ should really meet the wearer’s requirements! Wow! Now we can go ring shopping. I am like a newly engaged gal – flipping through the magazines, sketching the ideas. Should we have it specially made or should we just find one and buy it? Such massive decisions to be made. It’s as tricky as couture v off their rack. Style wise I have little fingers so it can’t be too “Liz Taylorish” in magnitude. (for those who don’t know, the multi-married Liz had a penchant for HUGE rocks!). It must be delicate and pretty and fabulous. Isn’t this fun? Just an aside to readers who are looking for a ring – how glorious are they?? Diamonds really do sparkle more beautifully than anything. Now I know why so many have to have a diamond. All those different cuts – princess cut, brilliant cut etc and the diamond weight, the carats – the clarity (that’s how pure the diamond is). This is all new and fascinating info! Then what about the setting - white gold, pave (a cluster of diamonds), bezel, claw – it sounds like a scary movie but you need to learn all the lingo. Precious stones are an option and can be gorgeous. Styles are varied. You can choose Art deco, antique Victorian or cutting edge modern.
This will take time but I am loving it!! Why did I think it was daggy?



Kirstie!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin