Monday, March 19, 2007

My fashionable life...

My life is all about bridal fashion. As the fashion editor on BRIDE Magazine most days are spent looking at or thinking about wedding gowns. Either I pour over real life weddings, or I am arranging to showcase beautiful bridal couture in our fashion shoots or on our catwalk. For a lover of clothes (that’s me!), being able to immerse myself in outfits that dreams are made of – it’s a dream job.

There is nothing like a wedding gown to make a fantastic statement. The sheer quality of bridal fashion - so intricately and skilfully made and the use of superb fabric, expert design plus the cut and line of the dress - so sophisticated and superior to everyday wear. It’s thrilling to envisage and my privilege to inspire girls in the lucky position to choose a gown.

I came to publishing and bridal fashion by a strange route having worked for many years as an actor, a radio announcer, a singer, dabbling in PR & writing.

Everything I have ever done though was somehow connected to fashion &
style and my obsession with clothes, accessories, make up – frivolous girlie delights - but even at my own wedding day – (12 years ago now) – choosing a wedding gown was a BIG DEAL! Even though I thought I was groovy and alternative therefore not one to get all fired up about a wedding dress, once I had the excuse to get one it was a major excitement. All contemporary style notions were out the window -this was special. It was almost overwhelming to think of making the final decision on such an important outfit. This included accessories and flowers – the whole look it was just so vital to do it right. I wanted to be pretty, glamorous, stylish, timeless – an endless stream of adjectives. Never has the question loomed so large - What will I wear??

In my work as a performer in a big Latin band I had already enjoyed some pretty massive and impressive costumes (check out my white satin with black lace ensemble to above!) especially made for me so it wasn’t the first time I got to come up with a design concept and wear it (and get attention) but the emotion that comes with your wedding style is the difference.


I opted for silk taffeta slimline with a dash of pretty femininity – lace & chiffon.

The fact that I had done opulent before in a costume for the stage is possibly why I didn’t opt for the big gown. I totally understand girls who do. Why not? When will you ever be able to wear something as extravagant? The days of big fancy balls have long gone so your wedding is the only time to feel a bit royal or like a ***Hollywood*** star.


Kirstie

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin